Here are my faves from the year:
1. The Dark Knight. I loved it from start to finish. Batman voice and all. The scene where he flips a semi over the Joker is cinematic bliss. The sound design, the cinematography, Heath Ledger's acting, it all just came together. It exceeded my own personal hype and that's saying something.
2. Let the Right One In. This film was amazing. So subtle and engaging. Despite the violence, this was a tender love story of two lost souls coming together.
3. Slumdog Millionare. Just see it, mmmkay.
4. Iron Man. RDJ still has that magic touch. I thought it was gonna be another throwaway comic book movie. Boy was I wrong. It was entertaining from start to finish, even with Gwenyth Paltrow as the female lead.
5. In Bruges. I re-watched this on xmas. Colin Farrell excels in this black comedy. Who knew he could be funny? But the film isn't just about humor, it's about atoning for what you've done and realizing life doesn't end up as planned.
Honorable Mentions: The Fall, Forgetting Sarah Marshall
1. "The Wire" - Best crime drama ever!
2. "Doctor Who" - There's a good reason it's the longest running tv series.
3. "30 Rock" - MILF Island. That is all.
4. "Venture Bros"
5. "Stargate: Atlantis" - Yeah, I'm a sci-fi geek. But seriously, give it a chance.
6. "Lost" - I was substantiantly less angry at the tv this season.
Honorable Mentions: "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles", "True Blood", "Law & Order", "Supernatural", "The Office"
Albums (.i.e cds I actually made an effort to buy)
1. Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours. They're one of my fave bands, so not too surprising they're my number one pick.
Key Tracks: "Out there on the Ice", "Far Away", and "Unforgettable Season"
2. Friendly Fires - Friendly Fires. This is my 2008 new music discovery. I'd listened to their cover of "Your Love" for over a year. Then, they got sorta lost in the noise. On a whim, I went to see them open up for The Virgins. Needless to say, I was blown away. These guys have tight, funky and dance-electric set that kept me coming back for more (4x so)!
Key Tracks: "Jump in the Pool", "Paris", and "White Diamonds".
3. The Presets - Apocalypso. More musical genius from down under! My birthday gift to my best friend was tix to their gig at the Glasshouse. After two songs, she was an instant fan. These guys are professional electronic music artists. This album is techno/electro perfection. They pump you up from start to finish. Forget Justice, it's all about these synth heroes.
Key Tracks: "My People", "A New Sky", "Kicking and Screaming"
4. Does it Offend You, Yeah? - You Have No Idea... These fellas got me excited for dance rock again. Remember that first time you heard "Banquet", but had no idea who sung that song, but you were determined to find out. That's how it was with me and DIOYY. And then I heard "Dawn of the Dead". Game, set, match. Fan for life.
Key Tracks: "Dawn of the Dead", "Let's Make Out", "We Are Rockstars"
5. Santogold – Santogold. I waited for this album with baited breath. See this girl in concert and you'll find out quick she's no M.I.A. imitator. She's the real deal. She'll make you her dance slave and be your electronic queen. For real, son.
Key Tracks: "Creator", "L.E.S. Artistes", "You'll Find a Way"
6. M83- Saturdays=Youth. I was always a bit "meh" about M83. Thought it was too instrumental. Saturdays = Youth changed my tune with a quickness. Mr. Gonzales reminds you that singles are good, but albums are better. It's a cohesive blend of gentle, synth melodies and distortion that are searching for memories of days gone by.
Key Tracks: "We Own the Sky", "Kim & Jessie"
7. Ladyhawke – Ladyhawke
8. TV on the Radio - Dear Science
9. The Teenagers - Reality Check
10. Lykke Li - Youth Novels EP
Honorable Mentions: Jamie Lidell - JIM, Hot Chip - Made in the Dark, Bloc Party - Intimacy, Hercules & Love Affair
Singles (I make no apologies for a good tune)
1. "Dawn of the Dead" – Does it Offend You, Yeah?
2."Single Ladies (Put a Ring on it)" – Beyonce
3. "Sex on Fire" – Kings of Leon
4. "American Boy" – Estelle featuring Kanye
5. "Dance Wiv Me" – Dizzee Rascal featuring Calvin Harris
6. "Day n Nite" Crookers Remix – Kid Cudi
7. "I'm Not Over" – Carolina Liar
8. "I'm Good, I'm Gone" – Lykke Li
9. "Far Away" – Cut Copy
10. "Jump in the Pool" – Friendly Fires
11. "Black & Gold" – Sam Sparro
12. "Great DJ" Calvin Harris Remix – The Ting Tings
13. "Live Your Life" – T.I. featuring Rihanna
14. "Leavin" MSTRKRFT Remix – Jesse McCartney
15. "Ready for the Floor" Jesse Rose Remix – Hot Chip
16. "Universal Mind Control" – Common
17. "Hold On" – Holy Ghost!
18. "Electric Feel" – MGMT
19. "Paris is Burning" - Ladyhawke
20. "Blind" – Hercules & Love Affair
21. "Little Bit of Feel Good" – Jamie Lidell
22. "Hip Hop Saved My Life"/"Superstar" – Lupe Fiasco
23. "Kim & Jesse" Montag Remix – M83
24. "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your BF How To Dance With You" – Black Kids
25. "This Boy's in Love" – The Presets
Honorable Mentions:, "Mrs. Officer" - Lil Wayne feat Bobby Valentino, "Golden Age" - TVOTR, "Love No" - The Teenagers, "Heartbreak" - Metronomy, "4 Minutes" – Madonna featuring Justin Timberlake, "Damaged" – Danity Kane, "Vanished" – Crystal Castles, "Electric Feel" Justice Remix - MGMT
Happy NYE! I hope 2009 is better than 2008.